Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Firecracker Chicken Pasta


I love spicy pasta!  Who doesn't want to add a little spice to their life.  This was pretty easy to make, the sauce was a bit harder, but I always like my cream sauce to be a little on the runny side, so 2cups of half and half just wasn't enough for me.  You can also add in some grape tomatoes, but no one in my house eats those, so we omit them.


Veggies & Pasta
4 - 8 oz. Penne Pasta (I cook al dente in salt water according to pkg directions & we like less pasta)
tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in 1″ cubes (could also use shrimp)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ c. Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1-2 Bell Peppers, long thin slices (I use yellow, red or orange)
c. Broccoli florets
c. Asparagus, chopped in 1″ pieces
Cook your pasta and let it drain.
Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until done and golden on all sides. Remove and let rest in a large bowl.
Add the remaining olive oil and begin sauteing the onions for 2 min. Add in the garlic and bell pepper and saute another 2 mins. Then toss in any other woody veggies  (broccoli, asparagus) saving the tomatoes until the very end.
When everything is cooked, combine the veggies with the chicken in your big bowl.  Now its time for the sauce!
Spicy Cream Sauce
tbsp. butter
tbsp. flour 
2c. half & half  (I use more to make my sauce a little thinner)
1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 c. Parmesan cheese
Melt the butter over medium heat. Toss in the flour and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes.
Slowly add in the half and half while stirring to prevent any clumps from forming.  Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and allow to simmer until you see boiling action.  Stir periodically.
When your sauce begins to thicken and bubble, turn off the heat and add in your cheese. Stir until melty

To assemble everything I like to add the pasta first so it gets nice and coated with sauce and then pour the rest of the goodies in.

Sprinkle cayenne pepper on top to add the firecracker flavor (you could probably add it to the cream sauce, but it is too spicy for my 3-year old so I do it after I have served him and put some aside for leftovers for him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment